Sunday, August 30, 2015

On weird reading habits

Begin the summer break. There I was, at the beginning of July, thinking about how to spend my vacation. I was obviously going to travel. I was obviously going to get my school work done. I was obviously going to spend a lot of time working on a few side projects. Was I obviously going to spend time reading books? I thought otherwise, at least at the beginning.
I was relaxing at home, thinking of my plans for the break. I knew I had to read a book; it is a custom of mine. So I started off by picking up a copy of David Baldacci's book:"The Escape". For those of you that don't know, David Baldacci is a critically acclaimed author who writes a lot of very gripping fiction. I spent the whole of my first week reading this book. After I finished reading, I didn't feel satisfied. I felt the need to read.
So I got a few more books. These books, however, are quite different from the ones I usually read. On the airport, I got three of John Green's books: The Fault in Our Stars, An abundance of Katherines, and Paper Towns. I ended up reading all of these in India and on my way there. Never before had I felt such an insatiable need for reading. I read while I was supposed to behaving food, while I was supposed to be doing school work, while I was supposed to be working out, while I was supposed to be doing everything other than reading. Yes, my mom did end up taking those very beautiful  and perfectly cuboid-shaped books from me, realising I was addicted to them. Why I was addicted to reading young-adult fiction, I had no idea. I had never before read such books. Perhaps it wass the fact that I will be a young-adult in the future, or the mysteries of that stage of life, when I would make much more meaningful emotional connections than my current ones.
Anyway, I had to find a way of reading more books. My mom in this case was the person I needed to avoid (for the very first time). So I thought and thought, and came up with a brilliant solution. I would use my laptop to read books, and my mother wouldn't even realise I was reading books leisurely. She would think that I was doing my school work, or reading the short stories that Mr Michael had posted on ManageBac.
And so it began. I began reading various John Green books on my laptop. I found all the books online surprisingly easily (Thank the internet pirate lords!). Although the idea of reading books on my laptop was ingenious and foolproof, it was sadly quite uncomfortable. The story was no more just inside the book. I had to come up with a comfortable viewing posture, taking into account the viewing angle and the straightness of the back, along with the strain on my hands. After a lot of experimentation, I came up with an ideal position. With the head lightly settled on a stack of two pillows, and the laptop in an upright position such that it is directly in line of sight, the most comfortable position was obtained! Needless to say, I continued reading quite a lot till I exhausted all of John Green's books.
By then, it was time to come back to Abu Dhabi. There were two weeks to go, and I had a lot of birthday money. I spent all of it at the airport, buying the all of the Game of Thrones books. I told my mother that I had finished all of my work (which was not true at all....), so she would let me indulge in quenching my insatiable thirst for reading different genres of books. But I still have no idea why I like the Game of Thrones book series. Before I started reading GoT, I despised the fantasy genre, dismissing it as completely unrealistic and unentertaining. However, I am now beginning to warm up to it, just as I did to the young-adult genre.
Now, it is the last day of the vacation. I have my English and TOK blogs left to finish writing up. I was supposed to do these back during..... when I was reading Let it Snow. However, I have read all of John Green's books and now am reading GoT, and guess what, I don't regret it! My grades hopefully don't regret it either... but whatever, that's a post for another time!

No comments:

Post a Comment